Sunday, January 11, 2009

Spring's First Kiss

Since I am on the subjects of flowers and Springtime I thought I would give spotlight to "Spring's First Kiss"

It is an older painting I did 2 years ago from a photograph of some crocus growing in my backyard (sans unraked leaves and bits of snow)

The painting itself is bigger than I usually paint, around 9 inches square. I was at a bit of a loss as to what kind of background I should use for this painting since the one that was really there was much to be desired. Backgrounds are not my strong suit and I have to work hard on them, sometimes harder than the actual painting, I can't tell you how many paintings have been tossed aside because I messed up the background. I am definitately detail oriented and find spending hours on a flower much more rewarding than slapping on paint to complete something but it is a necessary evil for who wants an incomplete painting?

I decided to add a blurry dirt/moss background as that is 80% of what my backyard is comprised of (the other 20% is clover) I think it worked well Although if I had to do it again I would have used a deeper brown to make the crocus pop better.

Overall I am pleased with it's outcome and if you would like to purchase this design follow the links:

to be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment

meow ^..^ meow ^..^ meow ^..^ meow ^..^ meow ^..^ meow ^..^ meow ^..^ meow
Respect Copyrights.
No printing, lifting images or downloading without explicit permission from the author of this blog, Nikki Cutro.
©Nikki Cutro and 13 Black Cats Designs. All rights are reserved.